Here’s a couple of pics I took on Thursday’s ride, on some of the quiet back roads. It was a nice easy route with a stop for a swift pint in Embsay before heading home.
Anyway, good luck to Paul and Peter who are doing the Nothern Rock Cyclone on Saturday. Hopefully we’ll have a full report when they get back.
Bridge over the Leeds-Liverpool Canal
After meeting in Glusburn Institute car park it was looking increasingley likely that we would get drenched. So we decided to ride into the storm and somehow missed all the rain.
Cowling Hill was hard work riding into a bit of a headwind, but the views from nearly 1000ft are well worth it. Dropping
down into Earby is very steep and twisty, perhaps we’ll ride up it one week? (i’m only kidding! it would be a vicious climb) It had just bucketed it down in Earby, but luckily we’d just missed it. It was the same story as we rode through Thornton-in-Craven.
Neil out front setting the pace
Its a great stretch of road from Thornton to Martons Both but I think we really need to do the stretch from Martons Both to Gargrave sometime. Anyway back to the main road for a bit before a quick detour through Elslack and past Broughton Hall. Another short section of main road before the Turn off to Calrton, then its quiet roads all the way home with a final leg burning climb up Connonley Brow at the end!
Apart from the main roads we hardly saw any cars really.
Yas powering up Cowling Hill
We decided to have a go at the route I’ve planned for tomorrow, which was really useful because some of the roads I’d never ridden before.
The route starts with a climb off the main road up Cowling Hill, which is fairly steady with plenty of flatter spots to catch your breath back! Some
brilliants views are to be had from the top, you can see for miles.
The route then takes you past The Black Lane Ends Tavern ( I think that’s what its called), then a fast decent down to Earby with a few speed bumps at the bottom. Then its on the
Yas dancing on the pedals up Cononley Brow
leads to a nice quiet road to East Marton which goes near the Rolls Royce factory and over the Leeds-Liverpool canal before coming out on the Clitheroe Road.
The home leg takes you past Broughton Hall and then on to the quiet roads to Carlton and then Cononley. Unfortunately that just leaves Cononley Brow to negotiate!
Altogether a very enjoyable ride and great weather too!
Anway I know the way now!
A nice rolling route through Gargrave, Cracoe and Skipton was enjoyed by all last night. Not quite as warm as last week but never the less it was a nice sunny evening. You just couldn’t beat the quiet dales roads with hardly a car in sight! I really need to remember to tak my camera next week.
Come and join us next week if you fancy going out on a Thursday evening on quiet local roads. Pace is steady and enjoyable rather than blasting up and down the Aire Valley as fast as poss.
I was out with work on Wednesday night. Looks like it was a quiet night too. Anyway here are the results -
- Seth Smith – 23.19 Bronte Wheelers
- Ben Cook – 23.35 JD Cycles
- Kevin Hickie – 24.29 Bronte Wheelers
- Dave Green – 24.29 Bronte Wheelers
- Paul Corcoran – 24.30 VC Bradford
- Nigel Moore – 25.08 VC Bradford
- Stephen Moorhouse – 25.37 Nelson Wheelers
- A Pettit – 26.08 Craven Energy
- Kristan Potts – 26.30 Nelson Wheelers
- M Allotson – 27.41 Craven Energy
- M Haslam – 27.47 Craven Energy
- P Stone – 28.12 Bronte Wheelers
- M Humphries – 28.12 Craven Energy
- Janine Pickard – 29.19 Jedi Cycles
- Andrew Lacey – 31.50 Bronte Wheelers
- R Presland – 33.01 Bronte Wheelers
Missed again but here are the results for those that are interested. Looks like a good week as well, plenty under 24 mins! and quite a few only just missed out -
- Jason Bateman – 20.44 Pendle Forest CC
- Chris Smedley – 22.44 Nelson Wheelers
- Ben Cook – 23.05 JD Cycles
- E McFarland – 23.06 JD Cycles
- Gary Cockcroft – 23.28 East Bradford
- Nigel Austin – 23.36 Otley CC
- Steve Wilkinson – 23.54 Nelson Wheelers
- Paul Corcoran – 23.58 Pennine CC
- Dave Green – 24.02 Bronte Wheelers
- L Taylor – 24.06 Craven Energy Tri
- Simon Pickard – 24.07 VTTA
- Kevin Hickie – 24.10 Bronte Wheelers
- P Watson – 24.14 RVO
- A Simpson – 24.27 Horizon
- Stephen Moorhouse – 24.52 Nelson Wheelers
- J Fenwick – 25.13 Harrogate Nova
- D Ballantine – 26.54 Keighley C & AC
- Craig Wilson – 27.20 Nelson Wheelers
- Vicki Annis – 27.33 VC Bradford
- T Kitchen – 27.41 ART
- Heather Sanderson – 27.51 Bronte Wheelers
- Terry Pickles – 28.07 Bronte Wheelers
- Adrian Dunbar – 28.32 Bronte Wheelers
- J Wilson – 29.05 Aire Valley Wheelers
I missed this one again, but here are the results -
- Seth Smith – 23.31 Bronte Wheelers
- Chris Smedley – 23.52 Nelson Wheelers
- Ben Cook – 24.01 JD Cycles
- Peter Barusvicus – 24.20 VC Bradford
- E McFarland – 24.23 JD Cycles
- Robert Watson – 24.32 Paul Milnes
- Chris Young – 24.34 Bronte Wheelers
- Dave Higginson – 24.43 Nelson Wheelers
- Steve Wilkinson – 24.59 Nelson Wheelers
- Nigel Austin – 25.07 Otley CC
- Nigel Moore – 25.18 VC Bradford
- Tom Hardie – 25.33 Bronte Wheelers
- A Simpson – 25.44 Horizon
- Kevin Hickie – 26.12 Bronte Wheelers
- Heather Sanderson – 28.52 Bronte Wheelers
- J Wilson – 30.36 Aire Valley Wheelers
- Terry Pickles – 30.43 Bronte Wheelers
- Janine Pickard – 31.35 Jedi Cycles
Thanks to all who came to the first Thursday night ride.
We couldn’t have asked for better weather on our loop to Bolton Abbey and back. Beautiful sunshine, quiet roads and great views, were enjoyed by everyone on the ride.
If your interested please come and join us next week. Setting off at 7.10pm at Glusburn Institute.